SOA and BPM are not necessarily mutually exclusive in a corporate environment, each has its place. SOA needs stateless short-lived transactions. BPM is great for automating stateful workflow, orchestration, aggregation or data enrichment. That is not to say you can’t use one for the other or v.v, however you will not be as happy with the results. You can also use them in a combination, such as exposing a BPM application as a service where front end data is input to the BPM app for workflow processing / aggregation / data enrichment.
- IBM SOA AND ESB Myriad of choices (ibm.com)
- Business Oriented Architecture Becomes the New Focus (technorati.com)
- Sensory BPM on the Show Floor in London (blogs.gartner.com)
- Developing a SOA-Based Integration Layer Framework (architects.dzone.com)
- SOA at the BSA Annual Conference (brainthing.wordpress.com)
- Discover the true meaning of Service Oriented Architecture using Packt’s new Book and eBook (packtpub.com)
- SOA is Software Equivalent of a Fast Breeder Nuclear Reactor (java.dzone.com)